FAO: UCU Scotland Branches and LA’s.
Registration is now open for UCU Scotland’s 2015 Congress and dinner. Each branch of UCU Scotland may send three representative members, in addition to their Honorary Secretary OR Executive Committee member (who are automatically entitled to attend, but must still register.) I wish to draw your attention to two major changes for 2015:
- We have dispensed with the old paper-based registration system and are debuting an automated process via the link you will find later in this email. All attendees of Congress and the dinner must register via this link (or have somebody register for them). If for any reason you are unable to register via this system, please call or email James Rose email@example.com 0131 226 6694
- All approved delegates will this year be fully funded by UCU Scotland, including travel expenses, attendance at Congress, the dinner and any required accommodation. Branches are not liable for these costs. This decision has been taken to maximise attendance, and branches should look to send their full allocation of delegates wherever possible.
Some branches have already indicated via the 2014 Annual Return which members they will be sending to Congress in 2015. Please note that branches are not tied to what was indicated on that form, and at this stage may change or increase their delegation.
DEADLINE FOR MOTIONS AND DELEGATE REGISTRATION: NOON FRIDAY 27 FEBRUARY
Please contact James Rose for a motions form.
UCU Scotland Executive members should note that an Executive meeting will be held in the Prestonfield Room on Thursday 26 March with a buffet lunch being provided at 1.00pm.
Support UCU Scotland’s proposals to make our universities more democratic, representative and transparent.
The Scottish Government is consulting on a bill to reform higher education governance. UCU Scotland wants to see:
- elected chairs of governing bodies
- governing bodies to be more representative and to include trade union and student representation
- an agreed definition of academic freedom to protect all academic and related staff
How can you help?
You can read the consultation document here
Download UCU Scotland’s full response here: UCU Scotland submission to governance consultation 29 January
UCUS are keen for as many individuals as possible to submit their own consultation responses in support of UCUS policy. Download our Quick guide to making a response to the governance consultation
Join the campaign – add your name
Show the Scottish Government that you believe in fairer governance in our universities. UCUS is collecting the names of supporters on our campaigning postcards, and has started an online petition. To obtain copies of postcards contact firstname.lastname@example.org
UCU Scotland have produced a poster and postcards to support the campaign.
Contact email@example.com to obtain original copies.
Democratic Governance, by Dave Anderson, UCUS President
Elected Chairs of Governing Bodies – a Prize Worth Winning
NEW: Herald Article 15 January
The Scottish Trades Unions Congress are launching a legal advice helpline for people who have been affected by the awful events of the George Square Tragedy on the 22nd of December last year.
Anyone that is represented by lawyers appointed by their union will not be charged for this legal cover and they will keep all of any compensation that may be paid out.
STUC George Square Legal Advice help line 0800 089 2050
For the full press release, click on the link below:
Leadership in education
This half day course is aimed at those hoping to progress to a leadership role, or would like to consolidate their leadership or team management skills.
- Understanding your way of working and how to become more effective
- Introduction to different management and leadership styles in education
- What makes a good leader?
24 February, 09:30 – 12:30
26 Richmond Street
University of Strathclyde
Click here to register for ‘Leadership in Education – 24 February, Glasgow’
Visit the CPD website for more information: http://cpd.web.ucu.org.uk/course-information/leadership-in-education/
*Please note that UCU will not provide accommodation or lunch for this half-day event.*